Copper Oxide Is a Versatile Chemical

Update:14-10-2018
Summary:

Copper oxide is a black oxide of copper that is slightl […]

Copper oxide is a black oxide of copper that is slightly bisexual and slightly hygroscopic. The relative molecular mass is 79.545, the density is 6.3-6.9 g/cm, and the melting point is 1326 °C. Do not dissolve in water and ethanol, soluble in acid, ammonium chloride and potassium cyanide solution, slowly dissolve in ammonia solution, can react with strong base. Copper oxide is mainly used for making rayon, ceramics, glaze and enamel, batteries, petroleum desulfurizers, insecticides, hydrogen, catalysts, green glass, etc.

Main use of copper oxide:

1. Carbon is determined in gas analysis. Organic reaction catalyst. Manufacture of rayon and other copper compounds. Optical glass luminescent agent. Used as a coloring material for artificial gemstones, colored glass, and ceramic glaze.

2. Copper oxide can be used as a coloring agent for glass and porcelain, a desulfurizing agent for oils, a hydrogenating agent, an organic synthesis catalyst, and also for the manufacture of rayon, gas analysis, and the like;

3. Used as analytical reagent (for nitrogen determination), oxidant, catalyst; used as coloring agent in glass, enamel, ceramic industry, anti-wrinkle agent for paint, polishing agent for optical glass.

4. Used in the manufacture of dyes, organic catalyst supports and copper compounds. It is also used as a desulfurizer for the rayon manufacturing industry and grease. Used as a raw material for the manufacture of other copper salts, and also as a raw material for making artificial gemstones.

5. Copper oxide can also be used as glass, porcelain pigments, desulfurizers, catalysts, also in the rayon industry; for the determination of carbon in organic compounds; as an analytical reagent, oxidant, catalyst and petroleum desulfurizer; as glass, enamel , coloring agent for ceramic industry, anti-clinical agent for paint, polishing agent for optical glass.

Risk of copper oxide:

Health hazards: accidental inhalation or inhalation of large amounts of copper oxide dust may cause metal fumes, chills, elevated body temperature, and may be accompanied by respiratory irritation. Prolonged exposure may cause irritation of the respiratory tract and conjunctiva, nasal discharge, bleeding or ulceration of the nasal mucosa, and even perforation of the nasal septum and dermatitis.