How to Make Copper Sulphate in a Science Lab

Update:03-01-2019
Summary:

Basic Copper Sulphate is an inorganic compound commonly […]

Basic Copper Sulphate is an inorganic compound commonly found in pesticide products used to kill bacteria, algae, plants, snails, and fungi. It is a combination of copper oxide and sulfuric acid. Copper sulfate is also often used to grow brilliant blue crystals as a fun science experiment.

Gather all of your supplies. Place the items together in one area. Having all of the equipment you need in one place will prevent you from having to stop in the middle of a task to look for a missing item.

1.You will need: Copper Oxide, Sulphuric Acid, Eye Protection, Glass Beaker, Conical Flask, Spatula, Glass Stirring Rod, Evaporating Dish, Bunsen Burner, Tripod, Filter Paper, Filter Funnel.2:Set up your work station. Place the glass beaker on top of the tripod over the Bunsen burner. Put on your eye protection.3:Pour the sulfuric acid into the glass beaker. Heat the solution until it is almost boiling.

4: Add small pieces of copper oxide to the hot solution. Make sure to use the spatula to avoid burning yourself.5:Use the glass stirring rod to stir lightly. You do not want to stir too vigorously and splash the hot solution onto your skin. Stir for up to 30 seconds after each new addition.6:Continue to heat the solution after the last piece of copper oxide has been added. You want to ensure that the chemical reaction has occurred. This may take 1 to 2 minutes. The solution will look cloudy with a black powder.

7:Turn off the Bunsen burner. You may want to use a litmus paper to make sure no acid remains in the solution. If acid does remain, fumes will appear after the solution has been filtered. 8:Set the beaker aside. It is okay to allow the beaker to cool .